This error came up in Adobe Reader when trying to print a file. There is a commonly reported temporary fix for this mentioned in a lot of forums but I managed to find a solution to this version of the problem.
The printer was a Brother. I spent a lot of time researching the problem and at the end, downloading and installing the latest Brother suite of drivers and applications fixed the fault. It was the whole package that installs drivers and applications for the Brother printer. The cause was probably just the wrong driver installed and a newer driver replaced it when the software was installed.